Monday, September 9, 2013

New Student, New Year Sarah Malone


NEW STUDENT, NEW YEAR Sarah Malone

It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced the first day of school as a student and not as a teacher.  Two weeks ago, I began classes in the Graduate Program in Educational Theatre. I found that the first day of school as a graduate student didn’t feel all that different from any other first day of school.  I was still nervous and excited.  I still bought new schools supplies.  I still spent a little longer than necessary deciding what to wear.  I suppose the main difference is that the choice to come to grad school was wholly my own.  It’s not required and it’s not even something I’m expected to do--it was my choice and I am very glad to have made it.

I’ve been working in the field of arts education for many years and professionally for the last five.  I am thrilled to be able to devote time, energy, and thought to developing my capacity as an arts educator.  I currently work full time at Roundabout Theatre Company in their Education department but will be transitioning into a new full time position in Education at Disney Theatrical Group.  The idea of working full time while going to grad school doesn’t seem as daunting as it does invigorating. I’m excited to challenge myself to learn new things, brush up on research, and keep abreast of upcoming trends in arts edu. I also can’t wait to get to know my classmates, hear about their experiences, and learn from each other.

Fall has always been my favorite time of year.  And the first day of school has always felt like a holiday to me. I know that Spring usually gets all the credit for being about “new beginnings” but I think Fall deserves some too.  It’s the start of a new season and a new school year-the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment