Monday, April 1, 2013

Performer Turned Aspiring Theatre Educator by Lindsie Detota


Performer turned aspiring Theatre Educator
Lindsie Detota

This past year can best be described as a whirlwind. It went from extreme self-doubt to the utmost pride of being an artist and, most importantly, an educator. Naturally anyone who has their Bachelors of Fine Arts in Theatre studies plans on putting their degree to good use. However after 6 years in NYC, thousands of dollars later, and pounding the pavement as an actor….I was yearning for a change. I love performing and everything that the art has to offer, but I knew I needed to find something within the arts to feed my soul. After a lot of reflection, I fell upon the CCNY website. Educational Theatre program popped up in my google results. I knew I wanted to truly be a part of this program I learned that how important it is to not only be a successful teacher, but to find your artistry within this field and to keep practicing it. I love learning about being a Theatre teacher, but I also love that I can still work on being a performer as well. The Educational Theatre program has been an absolute gem. Professor Jennifer Katona and Professor Sobha Kavanakudiyil bend over backwards to insure that their students have the best learning experience possible. My eyes have been opened to how amazingly effect the arts are in any classroom. I feel so blessed and grateful to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment